Work In Australia: Everything You Need To Know



Work In Australia: Everything You Need To Know

Australians work to live, they don’t live to work, and based on this dogma, your place of residence is very important.

But how do you know if the city you are residing in is the perfect city for you? Very easy: if everything outlined in the next few lines is crazy for you, go packing because this is your place.

Sydney is a city that never sleeps, an inexhaustible source of leisure, culture, and fun with a warm climate almost all year round that favors spending time outdoors. There are lots of opportunities in Hospitality and tourism for international students.

For sports lovers, Sydney is a true paradise where you can practice surfing, snorkeling, long bike rides, hiking through natural environments such as the Blue Mountains, or running for its long promenades.

The Opera or the Sydney Tower are amazing architectural edifices that attract people from all over the world.

Sydney is one of the most expensive cities in Australia, and the salaries are usually proportional to the standard of living

Requirements to work in Sydney

There are several requirements that you must meet to work in Sydney which include:

To be able to legally work in Australia, you must be 18 years or above. If you have not attained the legal age yet, enjoy your super youth because the years go by fast.

You cannot legally work in Australia without a work visa, but there are different work visas available, however, this is dependent on what you are looking for.

READ This:  Canada Express Entry: Tips To Increase CRS Score

Student Visa (subclass 500): This visa allows you to study in Australia for 3 months to 5 years while working 20 hours a week during classes and full time on vacation. To be eligible for this visa, you must be enrolled in an official VET or English course and get your medical insurance.

Work and Holiday Visa (subclass 462): This full-time work and holiday visa lasts one year and can be extended to a maximum of two. This visa category is accessible to nationals from Spain, Chile, Argentina, Peru, and Uruguay.

Skilled Nominated visa: This visa category grants foreign skilled workers permanent resident status to live and work in Australia. To be eligible for this visa category, your profession must appear in the Skilled Occupation List and shows that you are among the best candidates.

Sponsor Visa or Temporary Work. If you satisfy the eligibility requirement, you can be sponsored by an Australian employee to come work in Australia and you will be able to work for a period of 4 years within that company.


Depending on whether you are going to be employed or self-employed, you will need to apply for the TFN or the ABN.

The TFN (Tax File Number) is issued when you are working as an employee, that is, being employed by someone.

The ABN (Australian Business Number) is issued if you decide to work as self-employed, to obtain the ABN, you will also need to have the TFN.

Keep in mind that, for some jobs, you will need special certificates that can be requested to hire you. For example, in the Hospitality industry, you must obtain the FSS, which is a license to handle food.

READ This:  What International Students Must Know About Studying In Australia

Warning: Attempt to read property "term_id" on bool in /home/gregaxqw/ on line 1056

Warning: Attempt to read property "term_id" on bool in /home/gregaxqw/ on line 1060

Recommended for you

Leave a Reply